Gravity water filters are usually stand-alone filtration methods that use gravity to filter water for ingesting. Water is fed by means of the highest of the filter, then gravity pulls the water down by means of the filter. These water filtration gadgets have a spout on the backside for dishing out water. Gravity water filters aren’t simply utilized in a house or workplace—they can be utilized for tenting, backpacking, and emergencies to take away impurities from water and make it safer and more healthy to drink.
Discovering a high-quality gravity water filter is vital as a result of it removes contaminants, like glyphosate, that doubtlessly improve the danger of well being points. They will additionally take away contaminants that make ingesting water simply plain style dangerous. Forward, uncover what makes these gravity water filters among the many greatest and discover out what to search for so you can also make the proper buy to your wants.
- BEST OVERALL: Massive Berkey Water Filter
- RUNNER-UP: Waterdrop King Tank Gravity Water Filter System
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Zen Water Vitality Gravity Water Filter
- BEST FOR ALKALINE WATER: Santevia Gravity Water System
- BEST PORTABLE: LifeStraw Flex With Gravity Bag
- BEST FOR BACKPACKING: Waterdrop Moveable Water Filter Straw With Bag
- BEST FOR CAMPING: Platypus GravityWorks Water Filter System
- BEST FOR EMERGENCIES: LifeStraw Flex Multi-Perform Water Filter
- ALSO CONSIDER: Alexapure Professional Stainless Metal Water Filtration System
How We Selected the Greatest Gravity Water Filters
To search out the very best gravity water filters, we checked out greater than 20 merchandise, bearing in mind every product’s measurement, materials, ease of use, filter life, what contaminants it filtered, and value to slim potential choices. Then we performed intensive product analysis to find out which gravity water filters prospects beloved and what options they valued most. We additionally checked out filters that have been suited to explicit forms of water, equivalent to people who comprise fluoride or chlorine, and filters that alkanized water. Essentially the most helpful and numerous set of options, along with overwhelmingly optimistic opinions from prospects, helped us to distill many merchandise right down to this closing record.
Our Prime Picks
The next are our high picks for the very best gravity water filters, together with these for alkaline water, tenting, emergencies, and backpacking.
The Massive Berkey water filter is product of chrome steel and filters out greater than 200 contaminants together with heavy metals, pesticides, pharmaceutical waste, rust, and sediment. The Berkey web site additionally sells fluoride filters as an possibility, which could be added to this technique together with the unique filters to filter out as much as 97 p.c of fluoride out of your ingesting water.
As is, this chrome steel water air purifier comes with two carbon filters, that are product of high-grade coconut shells together with a proprietary mix of 5 extra supplies. Berkey recommends altering out the filters each 3,000 gallons (or 6,000 gallons for 2 filters), relying on the standard of the water being filtered. Filters eradicating the next stage of contaminants, equivalent to sediment, could must be modified extra usually.
The system weighs about 7 kilos when empty, making it comparatively simple to tackle trip or to be used in an RV. When full, the system holds 2.25 gallons and weighs 25.76 kilos. Because of its handy measurement (not too massive or too small), its chrome steel development, and its high-grade carbon filter, the Massive Berkey water filter can simply swimsuit a wide range of properties and makes use of.
- Consuming water capability: 2.25 gallons
- Filter materials: Carbon-based with a proprietary mix of 5 different supplies
- Dimensions: 8.5 inches in diameter and 21 inches tall (19.25 inches tall if no knob is put in)
- Third-party labs examined filters and located that they exceed American Nationwide Requirements Institute (ANSI) protocol
- 1 long-lasting filter requires modifications each 3,000 gallons
- Non-obligatory add-on filters for fluoride enable shoppers to focus on particular wants
- Dearer than comparable merchandise
- Can’t see water stage from the surface
Get the Massive Berkey gravity water filter at Amazon or Berkey Filters.
Holding the identical quantity of water as our high decide however cheaper and with Nationwide Sanitation Basis (NSF) certification, the Waterdrop King Tank gravity water filter system can also be product of chrome steel. It comes with a fluoride filter, and its carbon filter removes contaminants equivalent to heavy metals, sediment, rust, and chlorine from ingesting water.
The Waterdrop filter system additionally comes with a nonslip stand to make dishing out water from the system simpler, as it’s going to elevate the system from the countertop and make it easy to position a glass beneath.
Its NSF certification signifies that the product meets minimal lead necessities—lower than 0.25 p.c—in order that lead is not going to leach into the water from the product. It additionally comes with a water-level measure so you’ll be able to see from the surface the quantity of water left within the system. Its copper spigot not solely minimizes the variety of plastic parts but in addition ensures better sturdiness.
- Consuming water capability: 2.25 gallons
- Filter materials: Coconut-activated carbon and resin
- Dimensions: 8.5 inches in diameter (plus 4-inch spigot) and 20.4 inches tall (included stand is 8.5 inches lengthy by 5.9 inches large)
- Features a handy nonslip stand so a cup simply matches beneath spigot
- 2 carbon filters final for six,000 gallons
- A visual water-level measure means that you can see how a lot water is left
- Comes with fluoride filters to additional lower contaminants
- Doesn’t present a full record of tangible contaminants filtered on web site
Get the Waterdrop King gravity water filter at Amazon or Waterdrop.
This gravity water filtration system from Zen Water incorporates a novel five-stage filtration course of that helps filter out contaminants equivalent to pesticides, grime, chlorine, and micro organism. The filtration course of additionally helps alkanize water by including minerals by way of mineral stones within the filter. As well as, the system magnetizes water with infrared balls within the filter, which creates ionized water.
Alkaline water has a extra impartial pH and tends to comprise minerals equivalent to calcium and magnesium; ionized water has an electrical cost, which some advocates declare could assist bone well being and blood stress, amongst different potential well being advantages, making it a preferred type of residence water filtration.
This method has a number of filter cartridges, however whereas a micro-ceramic filter can last as long as 1,000 gallons, the mineral filter must be modified each 500 gallons. Though it’s product of plastic, it’s BPA-free. Nonetheless, for the capability, value, and multistage filtration system, this product is a superb worth.
- Consuming water capability: 2.5 gallons
- Filter materials: Activated carbon, pure zeolite, far-infrared balls, silica sand, mineral sand, and ceramic
- Dimensions: 13 inches in diameter and 22 inches tall
- 5-stage mineral filter and micro-ceramic filter to seize a wide range of contaminants
- Additionally out there with 3.5-gallon and 5-gallon ingesting water capacities
- Alkalizes water for individuals who wish to guarantee a impartial pH stage
- Plastic development could also be much less aesthetically interesting for some
- No record of particular contaminants that it filters on its web site
Get the Zen Water gravity water filter at Amazon or Zen Water.
This water filtration system from Santevia holds about 2.6 gallons of filtered water and removes fluoride, lead, chlorine, vinyl chloride, and microplastics, amongst different contaminants, whereas including hint minerals equivalent to calcium and magnesium to assist keep the alkalinity of the water.
This method has been third-party examined by ALS World in accordance with NSF/ANSI requirements 42, 53, and 401 for water high quality and the discount of chemical compounds and contaminants. It’s product of BPA-free plastic, and its ceramic filter lasts as much as a 12 months whereas its primary filter lasts 4 months. The mineral stones, however, solely must be changed each 2 years.
- Consuming water capability: 2.6 gallons
- Filter materials: Ceramic, alumina, kinetic degradation fluxion (KDF), activated carbon, mineral stone balls, pH mineral balls, and silica
- Dimensions: 12 inches in diameter and 18 inches tall
- Alkalizes water to assist keep a impartial pH stage
- Multistage filtration system to raised guarantee contaminant elimination
- Third-party examined to raised guarantee a dependable filtration system
- Plastic development could also be much less engaging to some
Get the Santevia gravity water filter at Amazon or Santevia.
This 1-gallon transportable gravity water filter removes dangerous micro organism equivalent to E.coli and salmonella in addition to parasites and microplastics, making it handy for touring, emergencies, and tenting.
It may possibly filter a gallon of water in simply 10 minutes and weighs lower than 7 ounces. It incorporates two filters: a membrane microfilter and an activated-carbon and ion-exchange filter. The membrane microfilter removes 99.9 p.c of micro organism, parasites, microplastics, silt, and sand and lasts as much as 500 gallons. The activated-carbon and ion-exchange filter reduces heavy metals and chlorine and lasts as much as 26 gallons. It additionally comes with a helpful clip and shoulder strap, which permit for carrying and hanging off of a tree, car, or construction for simple gravity filtering.
The LifeStraw Flex with gravity bag water filter additionally meets NSF requirements 42, 53, 401, and Environmental Safety Company (EPA)/NSF commonplace P231 for the elimination of chlorine, lead, chemical contaminants, and micro organism and parasites. LifeStraw additionally supplies a whole record of what contaminants the filter removes.
- Consuming water capability: 1 gallon
- Filter materials: Activated carbon and hole membrane
- Dimensions: Bag is 10.6 inches large by 18.7 inches tall; hose is 27.5 inches lengthy; filter is 1.5 inches in diameter and 6.4 inches tall
- Weighs lower than 7 ounces, making it very simple to move
- Filters out dangerous micro organism and microplastics
- Holds as much as a gallon of water for filtering for a number of folks
- Third-party examined to make sure that it meets acknowledged requirements for ingesting water
- Some customers be aware that the filter is susceptible to clogging with common use
Get the LifeStraw with gravity bag gravity water filter at Amazon, Goal, REI, or LifeStraw.
With the capability to filter 1.5 gallons of water on the path, this Waterdrop mannequin is a superb gravity water filter for backpacking journeys as a result of it holds much more water than our transportable possibility—a key characteristic for when water sources are far aside—and has two filters for micro organism and contaminants: hole fiber membrane and activated carbon.
These two filters collectively assist take away micro organism that could be present in pure water sources in addition to natural compounds and grime, sand, and particles. It additionally has a filtration charge of 0.18 gallons per minute, which is similar to the countertop water filters on this record.
This filter has a protracted life, as much as 1,400 gallons with out backwashing, which makes it nice for longer backpacking excursions. The system can also be versatile; the filter doubles as a ingesting straw, which could be connected to the included bag or used with the included water pouch for filtering smaller quantities of water.
- Consuming water capability: 1.5 gallons
- Filter materials: Hole fiber membrane and activated carbon
- Dimensions: Gravity water bag is 8.8 inches large by 16.7 inches tall; straw filter is 1.38 inches large by 7.9 inches tall; collapsible water pouch is 5.7 inches large by 10.7 inches tall
- Lengthy filter life
- Connects to water luggage or water bottles for versatile use
- 5-stage filtration system
- Checklist of contaminants that it filters not available on web site
Get the Waterdrop transportable gravity water filter at Amazon or Waterdrop.
This 1.59-gallon transportable gravity water filter for tenting is nice for teams and simple to move, because of the included carrying case and a lightweight weight of simply 12.3 ounces. It additionally comes with each a clear and soiled water reservoir, so there’s no have to have an empty container able to dispense the water.
It filters by means of 0.46 gallons of water per minute, eradicating 99.9 p.c of micro organism, and lasts as much as 1,500 liters earlier than it must be modified. The microfilter has additionally been third-party examined to make sure that it meets EPA and NSF requirements for the elimination of micro organism and protozoa.
Nevertheless, it’s vital to notice that this technique doesn’t filter chemical compounds because it doesn’t comprise an activated-carbon filter. Its hole fiber membrane filter is just not designed to take away risky natural compounds (VOCs). The corporate does supply a separate carbon filter to be used with the Platypus water filter, nevertheless. Platypus sells a smaller 1-gallon (4-liter) gravity water filter as properly.
- Consuming water capability: 1.59 gallons (6 liters)
- Filter materials: Hole fiber membrane
- Dimensions: 10 inches large by 19.5 inches tall
- Lengthy filter life supplies for a lot of makes use of earlier than a alternative is required
- Clear and soiled water reservoirs, so no separate container is critical
- Gentle weight makes it exceptionally simple to pack and carry
- Accessible in 1.59- and 1-gallon sizes
- Doesn’t filter chemical compounds with out an additional filter out there for buy
Get the Platypus gravity water filter at Amazon, REI, or Platypus.
This water bottle from LifeStraw comes with a built-in filter and backwash syringe (used to flush the filter clear) for an all-in-one gadget, making it helpful for emergencies. As with different LifeStraw merchandise, this filter removes 99.9 p.c of micro organism, parasites, microplastics, heavy metals, chlorine, grime, and sand.
The bottle is made out of thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) laminated nylon and is BPA-free. The collapsible bottle itself weighs solely 3.15 ounces, making it superb for packing in emergency kits, retaining in a car, or stowing in a backpack. There’s an activated-carbon filter in addition to a hole fiber membrane; collectively they filter out each chemical compounds and micro organism.
Though this water bottle isn’t technically a gravity water filter, it attaches simply to gravity water filters, which permits it for use with completely different methods for emergencies. The filter within the bottle can also be detachable and could be connected to hydration pack bladders or conventional water bottles, and even simply drink straight from a pure water supply.
- Consuming water capability: 22 ounces
- Filter supplies: Activated carbon and hole fiber membrane
- Dimensions: 3.9 inches large by 10.6 inches tall
- NSF-42 and NSF-53 compliant for the elimination of lead, heavy metals, and chlorine
- Filters each micro organism and chemical compounds
- Light-weight and collapsible for fast storage and transport
- Activated-carbon filter must be modified after solely 25 gallons
- Small measurement limits how many individuals can use it at 1 time
Get the LifeStraw multifunction gravity water filter at Amazon.
This chrome steel water air purifier filters out over 200 contaminants, together with lead, micro organism, VOCs, and prescribed drugs. It additionally robotically filters fluoride and not using a separate filter. The system itself holds 2.25 gallons of ingesting water and is designed for countertop use.
The Alexapure Professional makes use of a proprietary gravity block filter with a ceramic outer shell that must be modified each 200 gallons. The product can also be made in america and requires minimal meeting. The producer provides extra filters for buy if you wish to enhance the filtration charge of the water.
- Consuming water capability: 2.25 gallons
- Filter materials: Proprietary gravity block with hybrid ceramic shell
- Dimensions: 8.25 inches in diameter and 21.5 inches tall
- Easy meeting takes just a few minutes
- Only one filter wanted, however extra can be utilized to hurry filtration charge
- No separate filter required for fluoride
- Some customers report that filtration could be sluggish
Get the Alexapure gravity water filter at Amazon or Alexapure.
What to Think about When Selecting a Gravity Water Filter
When contemplating a gravity water filtration system, there are a number of key issues to think about, amongst them the scale, sort, and contaminants eliminated.
There are a number of forms of water filters to select from, together with countertop choices which might be designed to take a seat out on a counter and transportable gravity water filter choices, which generally are available a bag usually designed for tenting, backpacking, or emergencies.
Several types of gravity water filters are additionally made of various supplies. The fabric is vital to think about for individuals who would like to keep away from plastic or for individuals who would love a extra light-weight materials, equivalent to plastic, for simple transporting or packing. For instance, countertop gravity water filters are principally made out of chrome steel with some plastic choices. However, bag water filters could also be made out of polyethylene vinyl acetate (PEVA), a chlorine-free polyvinyl chloride (PVC) different, or one other plastic materials equivalent to polyethylene.
Not each gravity water filter removes all potential contaminants, which is why it’s important to know which of them it does take away. For instance, some filters take away glyphosate, the energetic element in herbicides equivalent to Roundup, which can trigger well being issues, whereas others don’t.
Nevertheless, you’ll be able to count on most methods to take away contaminants equivalent to heavy metals, chlorine, and micro organism. These are frequent contaminants current in faucet water and metropolis water. Some methods require an extra filter to take away fluoride from faucet water. The contaminants current in your water—which you’ll be able to decide utilizing a house water take a look at equipment or by having your water professionally examined—may also help you establish the very best gravity water filters for residence use.
The producer ought to have a whole record of contaminants that the system has been proven to take away on their web site or out there by way of electronic mail.
Dimension and Capability
Gravity water filtration methods can vary in measurement from just some ounces—as within the case of emergency water filtration bottles—or a number of gallons. The most important filtration methods we checked out have been about 2.5 gallons (40 eight-ounce cups), which is sufficient for the day by day wants of a medium-size household, or about 4 to 6 folks.
Most gravity water filtration methods are additionally designed for countertop use, apart from these designed for tenting, backpacking, and emergencies. Whereas countertop methods typically could be transported, equivalent to for day journeys or mountaineering, transportable methods, which frequently embrace collapsible luggage, are extra handy to journey with as a result of their mild weight and packability.
Each system additionally has a distinct filtration charge, which impacts the stream of water and the way shortly soiled water is filtered into clear water. Some methods, together with the Alexapure Professional and the Massive Berkey methods, even have an adjustable stream charge, which you’ll be able to alter by including and eradicating filters from the reservoir. For instance, the filtration charge can vary from 0.03 gallons per minute (Massive Berkey with 4 filters) to 0.46 gallons per minute (Platypus system).
The filtration charge is vital as a result of it determines how shortly you’ll be able to have recent water after filling up the reservoir, which issues much more so in an emergency or if you end up utilizing a conveyable water filter on the go.
Filter Medium and Lifespan
There are lots of several types of filter supplies. The commonest is activated carbon, which is handiest for eradicating chemical compounds equivalent to pesticides, radon, and hydrogen sulfide, nevertheless it doesn’t filter out fluoride. Activated-carbon filters typically final for six to 12 months. In fact, the longevity of the filter additionally will depend on how contaminated the water is.
There’s additionally hole fiber membrane, which is greatest for filtering out micro organism and is usually utilized in tenting or emergency water filtration methods. Hole fiber membranes comprise microscopic tubes that bodily lure micro organism however not water. These filters are likely to have an extended lifespan and may final for 500 gallons or extra.
Ceramic is one other materials used to filter water. Ceramic gravity water filters work equally to hole fiber membrane filters in that they use tiny pores to filter out contaminants, together with micro organism and sediment. Ceramic filters have an analogous lifespan to carbon ones, relying on the filter high quality and the way soiled the water being filtered is.
Carbon, hole fiber, and ceramic could all be used collectively in a filtration system to take away contaminants. At all times comply with the producer’s directions for when to vary the filter to maintain water clear.
The Benefits of Proudly owning a Gravity Water Filter
A gravity water filter doesn’t require electrical energy and is a straightforward strategy to filter water at residence with out buying purified water. It helps scale back waste from bottled water and permits households to keep away from the contaminants that may be present in plastic bottled water, together with microplastics and micro organism.
Gravity water filters are additionally versatile. Whereas they’re easy to make use of at residence on counter tops, they will also be taken tenting, backpacking, or on highway journeys. Collapsible water bottles with a gravity filter can be utilized in emergency kits for the protected filtration of water.
Since gravity water filters can comprise several types of filters, additionally they enable customers to buy the model or filter that removes the particular contaminants within the water at residence. Some gravity filtration methods may also help alkalize or ionize water for potential well being advantages. Briefly, a gravity water filter:
- Eliminates the necessity to purchase bottled water
- Removes dangerous contaminants with out including any
- May help alkalinize or ionize water relying on the filter
Contemplating a gravity water filter to your residence? You possible nonetheless have some questions on how these gadgets work and what sort of upkeep they require. Learn on for some solutions to those and different ceaselessly requested questions.
Q. How do you utilize a gravity filter?
Utilizing a gravity water filter is straightforward and doesn’t require additional plumbing as it’s a stand-alone gadget. For a countertop gravity water filter, merely pour water into the reservoir on the high and let it filter by means of. For a conveyable gravity water filter, equivalent to these with luggage or bottles, fill the bag or bottle from a pure water supply, mount the bag greater than the filter, after which merely let the water filter by means of. For every model, you’ll be able to dispense the water from a spigot right into a glass or bottle.
Q. What sort of upkeep do it’s a must to do on a gravity water filtration system?
Gravity water filters require two forms of upkeep: altering the filters as usually as vital (which may vary from a number of months to a few years, relying on the filter sort and materials) and cleansing the water reservoir. You must clear your water reservoir about each month or because the producer recommends, relying on how soiled the water is.
Q. What are the advantages of gravity filters?
With a gravity water filter, you’ve extra management over the contaminants filtered out of your particular water because of filter choices and the vary of contaminants that these filters take away. Gravity water filtration methods additionally remove the necessity for bottled water, which may scale back your publicity to microplastics and forestall plastic from ending up in landfills and oceans.
Q. Will a gravity water filter soften water?
Most gravity water filtration methods is not going to soften water. Nevertheless, some may also help by including additional minerals into the water, however they won’t have fairly the identical impact as a water softener.
Why Belief Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. Because the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV sequence together with “This Outdated Home” and “Bob Vila’s House Once more,” he popularized and have become synonymous with “do-it-yourself” residence enchancment.
Over the course of his decades-long profession, Bob Vila has helped tens of millions of individuals construct, renovate, restore, and stay higher every day—a practice that continues immediately with skilled but accessible residence recommendation. The Bob Vila workforce distills need-to-know data into undertaking tutorials, upkeep guides, device 101s, and extra. These residence and backyard specialists then totally analysis, vet, and advocate merchandise that assist owners, renters, DIYers, and professionals of their to-do lists.