Photograph: Debbie Wolfe
Investing in a patio heater is a good way to increase the entertaining out of doors season any time of the 12 months. Patio heaters are designed so as to add sufficient heat to make staying outside comfy even when the temperatures are chilly. So, begin up the grill, gentle some tiki torches, and let the patio heater preserve everybody heat and toasty.
We examined the highest heaters based mostly on warmth output, use, and magnificence. One of the best patio heater enhances enjoyment of out of doors residing and gives warmth precisely the place you want it on chilly days or nights. Every of the highest picks under was chosen after an in-depth assessment of the market and thorough product vetting. Forward, be taught the vital options of out of doors heaters earlier than you store, and discover out why our testing revealed the next merchandise are worthy of a re-assessment.
- BEST OVERALL: AZ Patio Heaters Hiland Freestanding Patio Heater
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Hampton Bay 48000 Btu Stainless Metal Patio Heater
- BEST PYRAMID: Pamapic Patio Heater 42,000 BTU Pyramid Flame
- BEST SPACE HEATER: Mr. Heater MH4B Moveable LP Heater
- BEST WALL-MOUNTED: Dr Infrared Heater DR-238 Carbon Infrared Heater
- BEST PORTABLE: Outland Residing Firebowl 883 Mega Out of doors Propane Pit
- BEST HEATER AND TABLE: Finest Selection Merchandise 57in 50,000 BTU Fireplace Pit Desk
Photograph: Debbie Wolfe
How We Examined the Finest Patio Heaters
The patio heaters had been rated by their BTU output, maneuverability, and general fashion. We examined every heater’s capacity to warmth by gauging the farthest distance one wanted to face from every unit with a view to keep heat. General, we discovered that the tower fashion with dome covers distributed warmth extra effectively at a distance.
Luckily, lots of the bigger heaters had been simple to maneuver because of wheels on the bottom. The few that didn’t could be a greater possibility if the heater is positioned and saved in a single location. For patios with out overhead protection, a heater with a canopy is strongly really helpful.
Our High Picks
Think about energy supply, materials, design, security options, and extra to seek out the very best patio heaters to maintain heat. Whereas wants range, the next patio heaters are all on the prime of their respective classes, and any one among them could be an appropriate selection.
In case you’re searching for a heater that pushes out loads of warmth, this mushroom-style patio heater is the best way to go. The steel-constructed heater presents a diameter of heat between 10 and 12 toes round. It additionally options an adjustable desk for added comfort for friends and a wheeled base for maneuverability on paved surfaces. The heater has a clearly marked ignition mechanism that means that you can simply and safely begin the heater.
General, we discovered this heater to be handy and environment friendly. Its development was primarily sound, apart from the cylinder entry door for the propane tank on the base. Nonetheless, we want this unit got here with a rain cowl to assist preserve it clear when not in use.
- BTU score: 48,000
- Dimensions: 32 by 32 by 87 inches
- Use: Standing
- Wheeled base for straightforward shifting on paved surfaces
- Incorporates an adjustable-height tabletop
- Hinged door within the base to entry the fuel cylinder
- Adjustable flame, simple to manage
- No rain cowl; would require shifting out of unhealthy climate
- Cumbersome measurement, tough to retailer
- Cylinder entry door considerably flimsy, can bind on body
Get the AZ Patio Heaters Hiland patio heater at The House Depot.
Much like the Hiland mushroom-style heater, Hampton Bay’s model presents 48,000 BTU of warmth output. It’s constructed virtually identically to the Hiland heater, with a few exceptions. This heater doesn’t have an adjustable desk or wheels. Hampton Bay’s model is cheaper than Hiland’s heater, making it a cheap possibility if you don’t thoughts missing these equipment.
This heater didn’t include a rain cowl, and we discovered the wheelless base made it tough to maneuver. Nonetheless, the largest frustration was eradicating the protecting movie off the stainless-steel base. General, it’s an excellent heater if you don’t plan to maneuver it typically.
- BTU score: 48,000
- Dimensions: 18-inch diameter, 88 inches tall
- Use: Standing
- Raise-up housing permits simple tank entry
- Adjustable flame, simple to manage
- Sturdy stainless-steel development
- No wheels, tough to maneuver
- No rain cowl
- Cumbersome measurement, tough to retailer
Get the Hampton Bay patio heater on Amazon.
Flickering flames dance up and down the clear glass tube on the heart of the Pamapic Pyramid Flame Patio Heater. This propane heater stands 89.4 inches excessive and gives a variable warmth output setting. The bottom of the pyramid incorporates a stable cupboard designed to hide a 20-pound propane tank.
This pyramid heater weighs 19.8 kilos (with out the tank), is broader on the base to assist forestall tipping, and gives a security shutoff whether it is knocked over. It produces a beneficiant 42,000 BTUs of warmth and contains wheels for straightforward portability. The highest reflector defend radiates heat, whereas a steel cage protects the quartz glass tube. The heater additionally comes with a zipper cowl to guard it from mud and the weather when not in use.
Though it options an incredible design, we did discover that the warmth off the Pamapic Patio Heater wasn’t fairly as efficient as a mushroom-style heater. It was additionally awkward to maneuver, even with a wheeled base. This heater is ideal for individuals who worth fashion over performance.
- BTU score: 42,000
- Dimensions: 20 by 20 by 88 inches
- Use: Standing
- Contains pilot gentle and adjustable warmth setting
- Options a decorative seen flame and ornamental pyramid design
- Features a rain cowl; nice for lengthy lasting safety
- Wheeled base for shifting on paved surfaces
- Undersized warmth reflector permits warmth to flee
- Weaker warmth output in comparison with different massive patio heaters
- Awkward design for propane tank entry and shifting
Get the Pamapic patio heater on Amazon.
At lower than 11 inches tall, the Mr. Heater Moveable LP Heater is simply the fitting measurement for heating small areas, equivalent to underneath a patio desk. It connects to a 1-pound propane cylinder and produces as much as 3,800 BTUs of welcoming warmth. The heater presents a simple push-and-hold sparking ignition button and weighs simply 5.85 kilos (with out the propane cylinder).
Mr. Heater options an computerized shutoff within the occasion it suggestions over. It additionally contains an Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) that can flip off the heater if the oxygen degree drops under 18.5 p.c. This ODS sensor makes it doable to make use of the area heater in enclosed patios or tents with out worry of depleted oxygen ranges.
We liked the portability of the little heater. It saved us toasty and required minimal meeting. This heater is ideal for out of doors actions away from house. It’s supreme for RVs and tenting and the proper measurement to retailer in your automobile for surprising occasions.
- BTU score: 3,800
- Dimensions: 9 by 9 by 18 inches
- Finest use: Seated or standing
- Cheap in comparison with comparable choices
- Moveable and straightforward to move to totally different areas
- Quick, simple meeting; nice for tenting
- Burns by disposable gas bottles in solely 5.6 hours
- Not as efficient in open or windy situations
- Simple to knock over (however features a security shutoff)
Get the Mr. Heater patio heater at Amazon or The House Depot.
For scrumptious heat in an enclosed patio or three-season room, take a look at the Dr Infrared Heater that runs on electrical energy and emits as much as 1,500 watts of infrared warmth. The unit measures 35 inches lengthy by 8 inches tall and weighs simply 8 kilos, making it nicely suited to set up on a wall or ceiling (mounting brackets included).
The Dr Infrared Heater options adjustable warmth output and plugs into an ordinary 120-volt family outlet, so there’s no must fill and haul propane tanks. It features a distant management, incorporates a programmable timer, and in addition boasts an computerized overheating shutoff. The heater is designed for exterior use however solely in a protected location, as it will probably’t come into contact with precipitation.
This unit required minimal meeting, and it supplied respectable warmth output. Nonetheless, we felt that the legs on the tripod stand appeared flimsy, and it took a little bit of maneuvering to get the heater to take a seat degree. We preferred the heater’s portability, however an extension twine can be required if moved away from an outlet.
- BTU score: 5,115
- Dimensions: 35 by 8 by 4 inches
- Finest Use: Seated or standing
- Compact, light-weight, with adjustable base peak
- Simple to arrange and retailer
- Works with any electrical outlet, no want to purchase fuel
- Handy operation; contains distant management
- For sheltered out of doors use solely, not in damp climate
- Requires energy outlet and extension twine
- Wants weights to safe the bottom (empty sandbags included)
Get the Dr Infrared patio heater on Amazon or at The House Depot.
The Outland Residing Firebowl 883 Mega Out of doors Propane Gasoline Fireplace Pit features a 10-foot propane hose so customers can place a propane tank out of sight whereas having fun with the lava rocks and glowing flames inside this rustic hearth bowl. The fireplace bowl generates as much as 58,000 BTUs of warmth, and the warmth output is adjustable to go well with the out of doors temperature. As soon as heated, the lava rocks (included) will retain and radiate warmth.
This patio heater is comparatively compact and transportable, measuring 13 inches excessive and 24 inches in diameter and weighing in at 34 kilos. It comes with a canopy and carrying straps for even simpler portability.
We discovered the tank hose to be the largest downside. The hose is about 4 toes lengthy, that means the uncovered propane tank will solely be just a few toes from the sitting space. The hose presents a tripping hazard, and the uncovered tank is unattractive. Nonetheless, the warmth emitted from the firepit is superb, and its portability makes it a lovely possibility for individuals who choose to not cope with wooden fires.
- BTU score: 58,000
- Dimensions: 24 inches diameter, 13 inches excessive
- Use: Seated or standing
- Glorious warmth output with assist of included hearth rocks
- Could also be used on uneven surfaces
- Contains rain cowl; easy rust safety
- Smokeless different to conventional hearth pit
- Fireplace rocks keep sizzling after the fireplace is out
- Low peak and uncovered flame harmful for unsupervised youngsters
- Tank hose could possibly be a visit hazard
Get the Outland Residing Firebowl patio heater on Amazon.
Pull up a chair and pour a glass of wine to take pleasure in on the Finest Selection Merchandise Fireplace Pit Desk that serves as each a patio heater and a desk for holding meals or drinks. This table-style patio heater measures 57 inches lengthy by 22 inches vast by 24.75 inches excessive, making it nicely suited to informal gatherings with mates or household.
An oblong panel within the prime of the desk lifts away to disclose a hearth bowl full of glowing glass rocks that add brilliance to the flames inside. The heater runs on propane, and a 20-pound tank matches within the backside cupboard. Producing a hefty 57,000 BTUs of warmth, the Finest Selection Merchandise firepit desk will preserve out of doors diners toasty heat. The desk weighs 78.35 kilos (empty), and it features a sturdy nylon cowl for safeguarding the unit from the weather when not in use.
We discovered the largest downside to this patio heater was the meeting. The instructions weren’t clear, and it took a big period of time to place collectively. We additionally discovered that it was awkward to position the propane tank contained in the desk after meeting. General, the warmth output was terrific, and the fashion is engaging. The wicker base is tough to wash, nevertheless it does include a rain cowl to guard it.
- BTU score: 50,000
- Dimensions: 57 by 33 by 24.75 inches
- Use: Seated
- Engaging wicker and aluminum development
- Decorative hearth glass stones (included) seize and radiate warmth
- Excessive warmth output and steel burner lid
- Features a rain cowl
- Lengthy meeting with unclear directions
- Considerably awkward propane tank entry door/drawer
- The wicker base could also be tough to maintain clear.
Get the Finest Selection Merchandise patio heater at Walmart.
Patio Heater Energy and Gasoline Sources
When the temperatures drop and a chill is within the air, having a supply of out of doors warmth will make out of doors actions extra pleasing. Patio heaters are nicely suited to northern climates, the place the mercury plunges as quickly because the summer season solar drops beneath the horizon. They’re additionally useful in hotter areas, day or evening, throughout the winter months. When purchasing for the very best out of doors heater, you might have a number of choices for the kind of energy required to function the unit.
Propane patio heaters can heat up areas shortly. Some are fairly massive and can maintain as much as a 20-gallon propane tank—a boon while you want to warmth a big space for an prolonged interval. These out of doors heaters are sometimes transportable, relying on the fashion, and lots of embrace wheels.
Because of the danger of carbon monoxide buildup, don’t use exterior propane heaters in an enclosed space, equivalent to a greenhouse or enclosed patio, until a transparent security function is constructed into the unit to forestall operation underneath inadequate oxygen ranges.
Gasoline heaters fueled by pure fuel usually tend to be thought-about everlasting fixtures on the patio than propane heaters as a result of they connect with a house’s pure fuel line. Relying on native constructing codes, working a pure fuel line to the patio in all probability requires the providers of a licensed plumber.
The upside to a pure fuel patio heater is a decrease working price as a result of pure fuel is often a cheaper energy supply than propane. In case you’re searching for a dependable supply of patio warmth, a pure fuel heater could possibly be a cheap strategy to entertain outside, even throughout cool climate.
There’s no want to purchase gas for electrical patio heaters, however plan to exchange the heating lamps sometimes. With no open flame, electrical heaters could also be safer than different sorts for some households each indoors and out. However they’re often smaller and never as highly effective, so an electrical patio heater might not generate as a lot warmth as its propane cousin.
When purchasing for an electrical patio heater, examine the warmth output of various fashions, however remember that a better warmth output means elevated electrical energy utilization and a bigger electrical invoice. Additionally, keep in mind that the very best electrical patio heater features a energy twine, so it’s essential to have at the very least one out of doors electrical outlet.
For an genuine campfire really feel, there’s nothing fairly like a wood-burning patio heater. The sort of heater can generate quite a lot of warmth, relying on the scale of the firebox and the quantity of wooden it can maintain.
Since wooden fires can create smoke and ash, a wood-burning patio heater isn’t appropriate for an enclosed patio. To cut back smoke, burn solely seasoned hardwoods, equivalent to hickory, birch, and white ash. Some communities don’t allow open firepits, so examine along with your native hearth division earlier than shopping for one.
Photograph: Debbie Wolfe
What to Think about When Selecting the Finest Patio Heater
Some patio heaters are massive and function a focus on the patio round which merrymakers collect, whereas others are strictly purposeful—they warmth the realm however don’t add a lot in the best way of atmosphere. Selecting the out of doors heating possibility that most accurately fits a particular patio is usually a matter of particular person style, however just a few components are value contemplating.
Simply because it’s a patio doesn’t imply this out of doors area shouldn’t obtain the identical decor consideration as any indoor room. A wide range of patio heater types can add a singular aesthetic to a yard oasis.
- Tower-style heater: Most tower-style patio heaters are 6 to eight toes tall, with the warmth supply positioned on the prime, center, or backside of the tower. Accessible in electrical or propane variations, these patio heaters can heat a 5- to 10-foot radius, making them a wonderful possibility for yards and bigger patios.
- House heater: Extra about operate than aesthetic, an exterior area heater is comparatively small and designed to warmth a restricted area. For out of doors eating, an area heater tucked beneath the patio desk could also be adequate to maintain diners cozy as they take pleasure in a meal. House heaters could also be powered by propane or plugged into an outside electrical outlet.
- Tabletop heater: Smaller than freestanding heaters, tabletop items are sometimes secured to a patio desk (often by the opening the place a solar umbrella would match). Both electrical or propane, they provide the benefit of portability however are usually much less highly effective, making them nicely suited to smaller gatherings.
- Mounted heater: Accessible in wall- or ceiling-mounted choices, these patio heaters are usually infrared (they radiate warmth) and are electrically powered. They’re wonderful you probably have restricted ground area however want to warmth a big space.
- Firepit/hearth: Maybe the final word in out of doors atmosphere, firepits and out of doors fireplaces supply the kind of flickering atmosphere related to a campfire, so it’s little surprise that they’re excessive on many out of doors entertaining want lists. They could be powered by propane, pure fuel, or wooden and are perfect for being surrounded by patio chairs for a late-night s’mores session.
The utmost space a patio heater will comfortably warmth will depend on a number of variables. Many massive patio heaters are radiant, that means they replicate warmth waves relatively than distribute warmth through a fan. Radiant warmth is simpler as a result of it warms objects in entrance of it relatively than simply warming the air. On a breezy day, a fan-based heater (convection) received’t preserve anybody heat if the wind blows away the heated air.
Relying on the ability of the heating factor, a patio heater can radiate warmth 4 to 12 toes and even farther. Many function the flexibility to regulate the warmth output—turning down the heater if solely a bit of heat is critical or working it on the best setting to warmth a wider space.
A pure fuel or propane patio heater’s warmth output is measured in British thermal items (BTUs), whereas an electrical heater’s output is measured in watts.
- BTU estimation: The overall method for estimating appropriate BTUs for a patio heater is to multiply the patio’s sq. toes by 20. For instance, a patio that measures 20 by 20 toes equals 400 sq. toes of area. Multiplying 400 by 20 is 8,000, so a fuel patio heater with an 8,000-BTU output would successfully warmth the realm. Gasoline patio heaters vary from about 5,000 to 40,000 BTUs, relying on fashion and measurement.
- Watt estimation: Electrical patio heaters supply a most of 1,500 watts—comparable to five,100 BTUs—in order that they don’t generate fairly as a lot warmth as fuel heaters, making them nicely suited to smaller patios. Alternatively, think about using two or extra electrical patio heaters on a single patio in the event you need extra warmth output.
Whereas the primary operate of a patio heater is to take care of a snug out of doors temperature, many go the additional mile to assist create a comfy or romantic feeling. Some tabletop types incorporate glass rocks that replicate varied gentle colours, whereas others produce flickering flames that add a dreamy really feel.
Apart from the smallest area heaters, most propane patio heaters function a cupboard that conceals the propane tank to create a cleaner look. For the very best aesthetics, choose a cloth that blends with the fashion of the house and patio. A modern stainless-steel patio heater will improve the look of a recent house with fashionable décor, whereas a cast-iron firepit would higher go well with a country cabin getaway.
Something that produces sufficient warmth to heat a patio comes with some security challenges. Producers scale back the danger of burns by encasing patio heaters in supplies that stay cool to the contact or inserting the heating factor above a degree the place people can attain it (within the case of tower-style heaters). Nonetheless, take into account the next tricks to extra safely use a patio heater.
- Transfer it away: Hold the patio heater away from partitions, patio furnishings, and flammable objects. The overall rule is to place a patio heater with 3 toes of area on all sides.
- Hold it degree: Some patio heaters present a security shutoff if the heater suggestions, however not all embrace that function. Place the heater on a degree spot to maintain it from tipping over.
- Purchase a hearth extinguisher: Patio heaters don’t current a big hearth danger, however a wood-burning heater can eject burning ash, or an area heater might tip over. By having an extinguisher useful, you’ll be ready in case of fireside.
- Stick with it: Don’t go away a patio heater on with out an grownup current.
- Hold it coated: Some patio heaters embrace a canopy. If not, put money into one, and canopy the patio heater when not in use. A canopy will preserve bugs, dust, and particles from blowing into the heating factor, which might clog it or create a hearth danger.
The flexibility to maneuver a patio heater from one aspect of the patio to the opposite or relocate it close to a pool can be easier if the unit contains wheels.
The biggest propane patio heaters can weigh 60 kilos or extra—and that’s not together with the burden of a 20-pound propane tank—so carrying one can shortly turn into cumbersome. Electrical patio heaters are usually smaller and extra light-weight, weighing as much as a median of 20 to 30 kilos, however wheels will nonetheless come in useful.
The smallest transportable heater might weigh only some kilos and simply be packed within the trunk of a automobile or moved to any yard location.
On the subject of electrical patio heaters, the true price typically is available in paying the utility invoice as a result of electrical energy is often (not at all times) costlier than both pure fuel or propane. That stated, electrical heaters are a cheaper possibility.
Propane patio heaters run the gamut in worth from cheap area heaters to tall tower-style heaters, however working them is usually more cost effective than electrical fashions.
Pure fuel patio heaters are sometimes on the prime of the worth line as a result of they’re continuously designed for set up in everlasting out of doors kitchens and residing areas. They’re among the many least costly to function, however you might require a licensed plumber for set up.
Wooden-burning firepits and fireplaces additionally span a wide variety in price, from cheap firepits to high-end fireplaces completely constructed into out of doors entertaining areas.
Having a warmth supply in an outside space presents the flexibility to entertain comfortably when the temperatures drop. For these pondering of shopping for a patio heater, some questions are to be anticipated.
Q. Which electrical patio heaters are the very best?
The Dr Infrared Heater DR-238 Carbon Infrared Heater is among the many finest choices for these wanting handy electrical warmth in an enclosed patio setting.
Q. What number of BTUs do I would like for my patio heater?
On the subject of patio heaters, one measurement doesn’t match all. Pure fuel and propane patio heaters vary from round 5,000 to 40,000 BTUs or extra. Select an possibility that most accurately fits the extent of desired warmth output.
Q. How far ought to the patio heater be from the home?
Place a fuel patio heater and a freestanding electrical patio heater a minimal of three toes from partitions and different gadgets, equivalent to furnishings. Nonetheless, some electrical heaters are designed to be protected even when mounted on a wall or ceiling, so it will depend on the sort.
Q. Can you might have a patio heater underneath a coated patio?
Most electrical patio heaters are designed to be used in sheltered patio situations, like underneath a coated or enclosed patio. A small fuel patio heater, equivalent to a tabletop mannequin, can often function safely underneath a coated patio, however a standard tower-style mannequin might stand too excessive (inside 5 toes of the ceiling) for protected use.
Q. Can you set a patio heater underneath a gazebo?
It’s protected to place a patio heater underneath a gazebo so long as it isn’t inside 3 toes of the gazebo’s sidewalls or ceiling rafters.
Why Belief Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. Because the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV sequence, together with This Outdated Home and Bob Vila’s House Once more, he popularized and have become synonymous with “do it your self” house enchancment.
Over the course of his decades-long profession, Bob Vila has helped hundreds of thousands of individuals construct, renovate, restore, and reside higher every day—a convention that continues as we speak with professional but accessible house recommendation. The Bob Vila crew distills need-to-know data into mission tutorials, upkeep guides, software 101s, and extra. These house and backyard specialists then completely analysis, vet, and advocate merchandise that help owners, renters, DIYers, and professionals of their to-do lists.